Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
[aclug-L] need spreadsheet suggestions

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] need spreadsheet suggestions
From: John Reinke <ufotofu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 13:57:15 -0500

I will be teaching a class this summer, and would like to keep the grades
in a simple spreadsheet on Linux. Here's the catch: I'd like it to be a
non-X-based solution, so I can use it over a telnet session at school or
from home.

It doesn't need to have fancy features, just allow me to keep track of
grades for students. In fact, it would be nice if it used some sort of
standard file format that would allow me to add or remove data with a
separate script, but that's not necessary.

I can't help thinking that there should be a simple solution like this
available, becaurse my first experience with a spreadsheet was on a VAX
system (ten years ago), and I used it on a simple (vt220?) teminal. Why
couldn't Linux do this?

Thanks,
John