Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] More on lost kernel

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] More on lost kernel
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 23:49:33 -0500

>Ok folks, the latest. The young man tried to install with the
>same boot disk that I used to install last weekend. Same result.
>After he selects the option to install RH6.0 and it starts to
>try to load and uncompress linux it stops with the error message
>that the kernel can't be found. He's trying to set up a dual
>boot with windows on a NEC machine. Any ideas what he might be
>doing wrong or why he might be having this problem. I really
>need to help this kid with this.

Wayne, I can't help you with that exact problem, since I've never
encountered it myself, but I can tell you where I'd go to research it.

1) Since it's RedHat, I'd go look at the errata section of their web page
for v6.0.  They almost always have some stuff in there, even for a new
release.  That may be of help.  They may have a FAQ or other support stuff
on there too, I don't know.

2) If you bought an official version of RedHat, they offer installation
support for the first 30 days (I think that's the right time).  So you could
call or email 'em and they'd probably help you.

3) Go to www.deja.com (formerly dejanews.com) and grab the "power search"
section.  Search for the verbage of your error message with a newsgroup
specifier of "comp.os.linux.*" (don't include the quotes).  This may turn up
someone with a similar problem, and hopefully an answer.

4) Ask the question to a broader audience, comp.os.linux.misc, for example.
Asking the aclug list is good, but most of us have limited experience with
this.  I can tell you a little about Slackware, a lot of people here only
run Debian.  Install problems are typically pretty specific to the
distribution, so we may not be able to help you. (I've actually done a
couple of Red Hat systems, but never ran into anything like that, haven't
used 6.0 yet though)

Hope you figure it out!
Greg