Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
[aclug-L] how to create maillists?

To: "Air Capital Linux Users Group" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] how to create maillists?
From: "Troy Wolf" <troy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 10:36:09 -0500

I cannot come up with a solution for a "public" address book for the company LAN.
As some of you may remember, I'm trying to replace our antiquated (non rich-text) , proprietary mail server with a Linux IMAP/POP3 server.  The old mail server used the Microsoft Exchange subsystem and the Exchange public address book method so all mail clients automatically received the public address book with all members (employees).  It looks like I'm going to have to take this "feature" away, and I won't be popular for it.

I feel I have exhausted simple shared text file, LDAP, and address book exporting and importing options.

I am now leaning towards setting up maillists for my users.  One for ALL employees, one for the accounting department, one for the Sales deparment, etc.  The employees will still have to manually add these group email addresses to their local address books, but that's better than having to manually add ALL employees.

Which brings me to my question.  How do I setup a maillist on a Linux mail server?  Preferrably a closed list that requires membership in order to send to it--otherwise anyone in the world could send to all my employees using my maillists.  I'm not naive enough to think this can be fully answered in a simple email reply, but links to online guides or sample scripts and other help is appreciated.

Also, if you have serious tips about how to solve my original "public" address book problem that prove successful---there could be a cash reward.

Troy Wolf