Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Debian packages

To: Air Capital Linux Users Group <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Debian packages
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 13:46:21 -0500 (CDT)

First of all, you probably DO want to go into [S]elect, and remove
anything you don't need (X Windows, web server, news server, ftp server,
etc, etc).  Thsi will cut you down a lot.  There's no way you need 337mb
for a PPP server--my Debian PPP server runs on a 170mb HD with about 40mb
free.

As for how to tell which partition is where... Unless you specify
otherise, all your files are on the root partition (/).  In your case, you
specified /usr as another partition, I see.  So, /usr is on it's own
partition, and everything else is on /.

With a small HD like yours, you might want to specify just a single
partition (/) for everything.  The normal alternative would be to have
three (or more) partitions, /, /usr, and /var.  On an 850mb HD, you're
cutting it REALLY CLOSE to limit /usr and /var to set sizes of 300mb or
so...

IMHO, With < 1gb you're best to use a single partition except in special
cases with unusual needs.

My PPP Server has two partitions, one for swap and the other for all my
files, /, /usr, /var...

If you do decide to split up your file structure into multiple partitions,
I would suggest something along these lines:

swap  64mb
/     80mb
/usr  330mb
/var  330mb

And that would probably suit your needs just fine, after you've gone
through the [S]elect process and gotten rid of things you don't need.

I hope that answers some questions...

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Troy Wolf wrote:

> My first Debian install.
>
> I got to the point where I get to choose a "profile" (or choose "tasks" to
> build a custom profile), and I'm having trouble now.  I chose the "Admin"
> profile which is supposed to require around 337M.  I'm prompted to skip the
> [S]elect step of dselect since these have been pre-selected by the profile.
> I chose the apt/ftp install method (I've got a good ISDN Internet connection
> and plenty of time to download.)
>
> When I chose the [I]nstall step, I get the following error.

> 4 packages upgraded, 436 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 149M of archives. After unpacking 337M will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n] Y
>
> E: Sorry, you don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/
> Some errors occured while unpacking. I'm . . .
>
> Installation script returned error exit status 100

> I setup the following partitions during install:
> /        64MB    SWAP
> /        80MB
> /usr    666MB
>
> (I have an 850MB hard drive in this machine.)
> Is /var/cache/apt/archives located on my smaller root partition?  (Another
> newbie question: How do I find this sort of thing out?  I know how to use th
> 'df' command to see how much space I have left.  I don't know how to discern
> what partition a specific directory is on.)
>
> What is the best solution here?  Start over and create a larger root
> partition? Specify alternate archive location on /usr?  Manually select a few
> packages at a time?
>
> Also, is there a way to go back in the installation and re-select a "profile"
> or "tasks" in order to auto-select groups of packages?
>
> Troy Wolf

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-