Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
[aclug-L] Debian packages

To: "Air Capital Linux Users Group" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Debian packages
From: "Troy Wolf" <troy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 13:33:46 -0500

My first Debian install.

I got to the point where I get to choose a "profile" (or choose "tasks" to build a custom profile), and I'm having trouble now.  I chose the "Admin" profile which is supposed to require around 337M.  I'm prompted to skip the [S]elect step of dselect since these have been pre-selected by the profile.  I chose the apt/ftp install method (I've got a good ISDN Internet connection and plenty of time to download.)

When I chose the [I]nstall step, I get the following error.

4 packages upgraded, 436 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 149M of archives. After unpacking 337M will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n] Y

E: Sorry, you don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/
Some errors occured while unpacking. I'm . . .

Installation script returned error exit status 100

I setup the following partitions during install:
/        64MB    SWAP
/        80MB
/usr    666MB

(I have an 850MB hard drive in this machine.)
Is /var/cache/apt/archives located on my smaller root partition?  (Another newbie question: How do I find this sort of thing out?  I know how to use th 'df' command to see how much space I have left.  I don't know how to discern what partition a specific directory is on.)

What is the best solution here?  Start over and create a larger root partition? Specify alternate archive location on /usr?  Manually select a few packages at a time?

Also, is there a way to go back in the installation and re-select a "profile" or "tasks" in order to auto-select groups of packages?

Troy Wolf