Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] group rights

To: Air Capital Linux Users Group <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] group rights
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 16:15:41 -0500 (CDT)

Yes, Redhat creates a group with the same name as the user, and puts it
as thier primary group.

here is my entry in the /etc/password file (with shadow passwords)
1        2 3    4  5                  6              7
cabrubak:x:1255:56:Clint A. Brubakken:/home/cabrubak:/opt/tcsh/bin/tcsh

Fields correspond
1 userid
2 password(x for shadow passwords)
3 User Id Num
4 Default Group ID
5 Gecos (normally username but could be anything) whats given when you
        finger user
6 home directory
7 shell

and a few from /etc/groups
1      2  3
admin::34:cabrubak,qwxlck
devels::56:

1 Group Name
2 GID
3 extra users

so you can see I belong to devels (because the gid is what is in the
passwd file) and admin

You can go ahead an exit the groups file and add them to any group they
need be in.

Of course to change their default group, you'd have to edit the gid (4th
 field) in the passwd file.  And make sure to chgrp their files if you
change it.

--
Clint Brubakken
Computer Science Services Group, LLC