Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
[aclug-L] group rights

To: "Air Capital Linux Users Group" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] group rights
From: "Troy Wolf" <troy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 15:55:59 -0500

I don't understand group rights and associations very well.

When you add users under Redhat Linux, the user is placed into a group with the same name as the user.  Is this kind of hokey?  I notice in the /etc/group file that a group named 'users' exists, yet nobody is a member of it.

I'm wondering because I'm still fighting getting dial up access to my Linux server.  I think It's down to whether I have proper rights and/or group associations.  I think my mgetty / ppp configuration references a group called 'modem', but I'm not sure how to interpret the config files.  If so, I suppose I need to add a group 'modem' then add my username to it?  Can I simply edit the 'group' file with vi?

Thanks.

Troy Wolf
ICQ 25970861