Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
[aclug-L] Network Card Problem.

To: <ACLUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Network Card Problem.
From: "Scott T. Gardner" <gardners@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 22:02:46 -0500

I am having a problem I am hoping someone can help me with. First the details: I have a new computer I am trying to get up a running on a home network. I had a Intel etherexpress pro 10/100 (the 82556 chip). Every site I visited said that there are no drivers for this "A" chip. The only drivers are for the "B" chip set(82557). I am running RH5.2 straight out the the package so far. I went out and bought a Linksys Etherfast 10/100. I installed it and loaded the module for the "Tulip" chipset. Several pages said that this was the right module. When I rebooted is when all my problems started. The frist time the computer started booting it stoped on the "Loading Sendmail." So I removed the card. Restarted the computer booted up. Removed the Sendmail from the system services startup. Re-installed the card. Then it locked up on "Loading SMB: smbd". So I removed the SMB from the system services start up and it booted fine. I can ping other computers and connect to it using other services. The next problem is that I do a startx and get part way in but it never seems to load FVWM2(or 95 what ever it is). I run XF86Setup and everything checks out. It says "congrats you have a successful running X server." It appears as thought the Windows manager is not loading. I take the card out and every thing works fine. Is it the cheap card or do I have some major config problems that I can't find answers to? Any help or pointers would be greatly appericated. TIA
Scott Gardner