Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 1999:
[aclug-L] Cheap monitors?

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Cheap monitors?
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 22:25:02 -0500

Do any of you have a working SVGA monitor they'd sell real cheap?  It doesn't have to be big (14" is ok) or fancy, just functional.  I can get a new one in the $120 range (probably a 15" these days), but I have a friend who needs a computer that's really strapped for cash.

We got him a cheap (used), low-end Pentium system that didn't come with a monitor.  He got an old VGA monitor from another friend, but I haven't had good experiences running Linux applications under X at 640x480.  A lot of stuff just won't display that small. From what I've seen, about the smallest truly usable size is 800x600.

Yeah, I have a 640x480 display on one I use at work (due to a video card that doesn't have but 512k of memory), but it really is inconvenient.  I have an 800x600 virtual display and scroll around so I can get to stuff I can't see on my actual display, but it's a pain the butt and I don't want to inflict that on someone who's not computer literate.  The primary reason he's going with Linux is because he can't afford to get Windows.  He needs the functionality as cheap as he can possably get it, but as easy to use as well.  I'll be setting it up, so he won't have to worry about that.  I'm hoping to get a nice desktop setup so he won't have to learn a lot of configuration things to get up and running quickly (doing word processing, internet surfing, email, etc).

Greg