Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
[aclug-L] PPP Server

To: "Air Capital Linux Users Group" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] PPP Server
From: "Troy Wolf" <troy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:10:09 -0500

I'm needing to provide dial up access to my corporate LAN.

I used John Goerzen's "Connecting to Southwind with Linux" page (http://www2.southwind.net/~jgoerzen/linux-swind.html) to configure my first successful PPP connection using Linux.  I struggled with the PPP and Modem HOWTO for hours, before finding John's page.

Since I was able to perform the above, I know I have a "working" system with a modem.

Now I need to provide PPP service --NOT connect to a service as most of the online help relates to.
The PPP HOWTO mentions how to be a PPP Server, but not in enough detail for me.  Also, I get the impression it is dated.  I keep reading that mgetty is more modern and powerful, yet none of the guides use mgetty in their instructions. I don't care what I use, as long as it works, I just don't want to bark up the wrong tree.

I'm assuming that once it is configured correctly, I can have Windows 95/98 clients connect using Windows' built in PPP dialup.

That was step 1!  The other curve is that I need to not only provide IP but IPX connectivity as well.  I have IPX configured on my Linux server.  I know this because I followed the IPX HOWTO and now can ncpmount my Novell 3.12 volumes from the Linux server.  I'm not finding a lot of information about PPP/IPX, but the IPX HOWTO mentions that the later PPP versions support IPX so I'm ASSUMING this can be done.

What surprises me is that I don't find guides about doing this because, as a Network Administrator, I know this is a very common need for corporate LANs.  The alternatives are expensive dedicated hardware devices like the Shiva LANRover 4E.

So, if someone can help me configure to answer incoming calls to provide PPP/IP access to a Win98 client, I might be able to add the IPX side of things.

IN YOUR REPLY:  I'm new to Linux, but learning fast, so keep this in mind when replying.
I'll be at the Monday, May 3rd ACLUG meeting.

I'm using RedHat 5.2, Kernel 2.2.6.  I notice many of you use Debian or even contribute to Debian.  If you can help me, but only per Debian, fine.  I'm not married to RedHat, just what I've used so far.

I'll be at the Monday, May 3rd ACLUG meeting.  I look forward to meeting any of you who can make it.

THANKS!

Troy Wolf
For any of you running RedHat 5.2 wanting to upgrade kernels for the new functionality, I've created a step-by-step guide you can follow to the letter (hopefully <g>).  Find it at   (http://www.troywolf.com/linuxI upgraded to use ipchains, transparent-proxy firewalling, and greater IPX support.