Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] PPP Server

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PPP Server
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Apr 1999 14:33:49 -0500

Hi Troy,

"Troy Wolf" <troy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The PPP HOWTO mentions how to be a PPP Server, but not in enough
> detail for me.  Also, I get the impression it is dated.  I keep
> reading that mgetty is more modern and powerful, yet none of the
> guides use mgetty in their instructions. I don't care what I use, as
> long as it works, I just don't want to bark up the wrong tree.

I would recommend mgetty.  I believe that it comes with information
that you'll be able to use to get it to work, and the PPP howto has
some information as well.

> I'm assuming that once it is configured correctly, I can have
> Windows 95/98 clients connect using Windows' built in PPP dialup.

Correct.

> That was step 1!  The other curve is that I need to not only provide
> IP but IPX connectivity as well.  I have IPX configured on my Linux

Ahh, well I'm not going to be of any help with IPX.  I have been
trying to avoid it for years, so unfornately (or maybe fortunately
<g>), I don't know much about how it works in Linux.

> So, if someone can help me configure to answer incoming calls to
> provide PPP/IP access to a Win98 client, I might be able to add the
> IPX side of things.

Well, my first suggestion is to get mgetty and read its docs, and then
if you have additional more specific questions, ask back here.

> I'm using RedHat 5.2, Kernel 2.2.6.  I notice many of you use Debian
> or even contribute to Debian.  If you can help me, but only per
> Debian, fine.  I'm not married to RedHat, just what I've used so
> far.

You should be able to do this with any modern Linux distribution.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
The 29,297,927th prime number is 559,107,191.