Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Suggest for portable backup device?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Suggest for portable backup device?
From: "Jeffrey L. Hansen" <jhansen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:10:03 -0500

I'm not sure what to tell you there.  Seagate makes a SCSI one that should
be directly supported by LINUX and the ones with their own cards (possibly
SCSI, but I'm not sure) should work too.  I have an old Colorado/Seagate
250 floppy, but it never worked under LINUX.  I saw a post about it today,
but don't know any particulars.  If you want to use a removeable hard drive
for the backups, that's a real quagmire now.  I understand the standard
isn't concrete yet so you could get burned.  If it was me I'd probably go
with a Jaz, but I'm the guy who bought the 4 SyQuests.  :-)  I understand
that there's a company who makes an internally mounted drive housing for
laptop drives.  That sounds interesting.  Also, Kingston makes an IDE
removeable that uses standard drives in, but it most likely pricey.
Probably the only way to keep within your budget is to get a Zip (around
$85 or so and $10 per disk) or an LS120 (around $50 or so and about $8 per
disk, I think, but I'm not sure about LINUX support - should be okay since
it's IDE, but I don't know anyone running one).

That's my take on the subject.

jeff