Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] C compiler for Linux - building pine

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] C compiler for Linux - building pine
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 22:27:35 -0600

Carl B. Davis wrote:

>I'm trying to build Pine 4.10 on my Linux.  During the build I get a
>series of errors that indicate I don't have a C compiler installed.  I
>have Redhat 5.2 and installed gcc (a GNU compiler) from RPM off the
>disk.  I tried to run the build again and get the same messages.
>
>Is there another compiler, library or something that I need to add?  Am
>I right in thinking that Gcc is a C compiler that should run the build
>for Pine 4.10?  Is there a FAQ, How-To or resource on compiling programs
>that I should turn to?

There are a number of development libraries that need to be installed with
the compiler to actually do much useful work with it.  I don't know what
Pine needs, but it probably has something to do with some libraries it
doesn't have.

Also, you need to be sure you installed the make utility.  Given that you
said "messages" instead of "message", you probably have that already.

Another thing that might be is that a lot of utilities include a
configuration utility that will set up the makefiles and stuff for you.
It's usually called config or configure, or maybe done with make ("make
config").  That has to be run first so that it selects the right compiler
options and such.  Check the pine installation instructions and see if
you're supposed to run something like that first.

Greg