Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1999:
[aclug-L] Funny problem with /etc/fstab

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Funny problem with /etc/fstab
From: "Bates, Rod" <Rod.Bates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 15:41:07 -0600

What on earth does this mean?

I upgrades from RedHat 4.2 (as I recall) to 5.2.
Afterwards, my system comes up with lots of things
broken.  Turns out /usr is not mounted.
mount /usr gives:
"line 0 in /etc/fstab is bad"
This messages also shows up during a reboot.

Many other filesystems in my /etc/fstab come up mounted.
mount <anyMountPoint> gives the message, but
mount /dev/hda6 /usr works.  All umount commands
work.

Even more mysterious,  umount -a unmounts everything
but "/", and mount -a doesn't mount anything.  But the
system boots up with all of the many other filesystems in
my fstab.

There are 5 entries right ahead of the /usr entry, which look like:
allegheny:(pid4551)   /net   ignore 0 0 0
I suspected them, since they precede the only failing filesystem
entry, so I tried commenting them out.  After my _second_
reboot after doing this,  I still get the line 0 is bad message,
but it came up with /usr mounted this time.  The more
experiments I try, the crazier and more inconsistent things
get.

Rodney Bates