Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] startx question???

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] startx question???
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 06:23:04 -0600

Isaias Izquierdo B. wrote:

> How can set my resolution to something better than 8 bits.
> I normally type
> startx -- -bpp 16
>
> But I'm kind of tired of this.
>
> Where, What, How??? Do I change it? I'm trying to set it to be a default
> so that I can boot to X Windows.

I think there are other ways, such as tinkering in /etc/XF86Config, but
early on I chose the simple UNIX option.  I wrote a short script, put it
in ~/bin (which happens to be added to my path when I log in) and wrote
a version for 8, 16 and 32 bit.  Here is a copy of my 16 bit startx
named x16:

# This script is used to start Xwindows in 16 bit per pixel
# mode.

/usr/X11R6/bin/startx -- -bpp 16

typing this is even shorter than startx and I don't have to remember the
startx syntax.  The flexibility comes in if I need a different pixel
depth and for that reason I have scripts named x8, x16, x32 in ~/bin.

This probably wasn't the answer you were looking for...

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | N0NB @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM       | "None can love freedom
 Internet | ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx                   | heartily, but good