Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Midnight Commander?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Midnight Commander?
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:24:13 -0600 (EST)

first I assume tkmc uses the Tk widget set, like a lot of linux programs.
Try something elese that starts with tk, or zircon (one application of the
top of my had I know uses it), and the all look sort of similar.

Never ran mc, so I'm not sure what it looks like, but maybe it just uses
xwindows calls, instead of a widget set.

It looks like a problem in your TCL/TK distribution. Maybe tkmc was
written for an older version, or it was libraries a different place .

try :
locate libtcl
(if it gives an erro about being old first as root run updatedb)
this will tell all locations were that lib is.

If you see one in a different directory try adding that to your ld library
path
(csh: setenv  LD_LIBRARY_PATH <new dir>:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
bash: export  LD_LIBRARY_PATH = <new dir>:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
you'll have to add this to your .cshrc or .bashrc respectively to get this
change every time )

If you still have the same problem, look at redhat for patches for tkmc,
or Tcl/Tk.

If none, you can go to  www.scriptics.com and get the newest tcl and
tk.

hope this helps

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, phrostie wrote:

> i'm currently running rh 5.2 and every distrabution i have ever run
> wether RH, PHT,.... back to rh 3.0.3
> you just type "mc" at a xterm or text prompt and hit enter.
>
> never heard of tkmc
>
> let me know if you get it working
>
> phrostie
>
> j m wagle wrote:
>
> > I am running redhat 5.2 and have an application tkmc labeled
> > 'midnight commander' that fails with the following error message.
> >
> > tkmc: error in loading shared libraries
> > /usr/lib/libtcl.so: undefined symbol: stat
> >
> > two questions:
> >  1.) how does one find an undefined symbol and
> >  2.) what is the difference between tkmc and mc? (I do not have any
> > 'man' pages for tkmc.)
> >
> > thanks in advance.
> > mike wagle, wichita
>
> --
> phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Oh I've slipped the surly bonds of dos
> and danced the skies on LINUX silvered wings.
> http://www.cottagesoft.com/~phrostie/cad-tastrafy/cad-tastrafy.html

| The Cheez-Czar  http://www.hackboy.com/~cabrubak    |
Marry me and I'll never look at another horse!