Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Linux newbie manual

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Linux newbie manual
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:37:00 -0600

>I've attached the file for anyone who's interested.  My open question is,
>could we possibly do this exact thing for Debian, Slackware, etc. to assist
>morons like me with the initial powerup until the environment is stable
>enough to fine tune?

Jeff,

Did you ever take a look at the Linux Installation and Getting Started
Guide, part of the Linux Documentation Project?  It's pretty beginner
oriented, guides you through installation and initial configuration and some
of the most essential commands.  It's well written, mostly by Matt Welsh,
the guy who wrote O'Reillys "Running Linux" (which, strangely, I didn't find
as useful or as interesting) and many other things.

Frankly, I don't know how anyone could use Linux without having access to
the LDP.  There are other guides, current HOWTOs, man pages, you name it,
there too.

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/index.html#guide

Anyone compared the newbie guide to the LDP Getting Started guide?

Oh yeah, FWIW, both Red Hat and Debian have installation guides available on
their web pages.  The Debian one is pretty basic.  I haven't read the Red
Hat one.

Greg