Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] More sticker madness

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] More sticker madness
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:09:48 -0600

John Reinke wrote:

> While I can appreciate the idea, I've always thought those types of
> stickers were sort of immature. While there's nothing about the sticker at
> the URL below that associates it with Linux, I really think that Linux
> users should not stoop to the level of displaying stickers like that. We've
> got too much class. I like things more like John's T-shirt, "Where do you
> want to go Tomorow?", which are more subtle, but ring closer to the truth
> than Microsoft's original slogan.

Okay, points well taken.  OTOH, there is nothing in and of the window
sticker itself to associate it with anything other than Micros~1,
Calvin, and the attitude of the dude driving the vehicle.  I have not
had one remark made to me in support of Micros~1 since I put the boycott
MS sticker on my truck last summer.  It can actually become another
angle for positive Linux advocacy.  It tends to confirm what some
computer owners already think and once a line of communication is
opened, then it may be possible to explain how/why Linux or something
else may present a better solution and inform why the ethical choice is
to move away from Micros~1 "products" ASAP.

> Seeing how popular these little squares are, we should consider making
> T-shirts or something else to help increase Linux awareness. However, we
> shouldn't do it unless we do it right.

I agree that this can be effective when the target audience is computer
savy enough to know that the hardware can run something else besides
Windows.  Yet, nearly all of the general public has heard of Micros~1
and has formulated an opinion on the DOJ trial based on what they've
been told, read, or experienced themselves.  To see a sticker like this
might make them wonder why someone would dare to disparage a "product"
that "everybody" uses.  OTOH, seeing the back of my truck with one of
these stickers including a boycott MS sticker, NRA sticker, and a KATT
Rock 100.5 sticker, along with my ham radio license plate, might give
others the idea that this loon is one best to stay a lonnnggg way away
from!

- Nate >>

> Just my $.02...

Dang, mine was only  worth $.002...