Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] ACLUG's 1st birthday!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] ACLUG's 1st birthday!
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:23:36 +0000

John Goerzen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As of March 19, ACLUG is one year old!  (YAY! <g>)
>
> Anybody have ideas of what we ought to do to celebrate, in true Linux
> fashion?  Maybe set up a LAN in a restaurant?  :-)

How about doing that in one of the malls (or in front of a major
computer store) complete with free (supervised) internet browsing for
the masses.  We could get the major linux "office" packages and demo
them to the masses.  Set up a file server to demonstrate how NT can be
replaced.  Get some cheep CD's and sell them at cost (or give them away
if we could afford it).... Etc.  We could do installs on site, and plan
to have another session within a week of the event too, to get it
installed on as many boxes as possible..

Perhaps we could get some local companies to help (pay for floor space,
donate internet service, loan us some hardware, pay phone charges, buy
CDs etc) for advertisement purposes. Get the TV Stations and News paper
interested...

But alas...  Lots of work and coordination would be required for that
and we don't have much time.

Maybe we could do it next year?

-= bob =-