Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Kernel question

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Kernel question
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:21:36 -0600

Last weekend, I wrote:

> I built a 2.2.3 kernel on a RH system at work last week from the
>source.  Seemed to work ok.  I looked over the RPMS that RH recommended
>upgrading to accompany a 2.2 kernel and there was only maybe 1 or 2 that I
>thought might be needed.  I didn't grab them 'cause I thought I might be
>switching this system back and forth between 2.2 & 1.0.36 for awhile (it's
>test system).

I spoke too soon.  That system was panicing right after it'd scan for
devices, which I thought was a result of some interaction with the RAID box
on the SCSI chain that I was testing with.  Turns out that it was panicing
because I hadn't updated init (one of the packages Red Hat has in their
updated package list).  The guy I'm working with on this figured that one
out, downloaded the 4 necessary RPMS and got it going today (although he
said something about the RPMS being corrupt...not sure if he ended up
grabbing sources for init and building that or what).

In any case, if you get a kernel panic on startup with the message "Init not
found" after putting a 2.2 kernel on a Red Hat 5.2 system, you need to
update some more stuff.

Greg