Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Postilion

To: ACLUG <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Postilion
From: "Maverick, Ven-Han Ieong" <vhieong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 09:55:38 -0600 (CST)

hee.. I am not a pro on Linux as well, but I can tell you simply what
fetchmail work, since I am using it all the time, fetchmail is an
application that fetch mail from the POP, IMAP, or ETRN-capable
server,
it is pretty easy to use,
you can just type on the command line like
fetchmail -kp POP3 servername -u username

-k is telling that to keep the mail from the remote machine, and no delete
them. (if you don't give the -k, it will delete them by default)
-p is telling that what protocol you use, the above example is using POP3.

and it will ask for the password, and if your password is correct, the
mail will go to your local account.
If you have more than one server you would like to check mail, you can put
all the fetchmail command on a file and give the redirect password to it,
and put that file into your ~/bin direcotry.

for example, I would check my cs account and feist mail at one time, I
would create a file on ~/bin/maymail, give this file executable.
on the mymail file, I put

/usr/bin/fetchmail -kp POP3 cs.twsu.edu -u vxieong < ~/bin/.secret/cspass
/usr/bin/fetchmail -kp POP3 wsuhub.uc.twsu.edu -u vhieong <
~/bin/.secret/wsupass

and the file cspass and wsupass are contain my password.

I hope it will give you some idea about fetchmail.
btw, you can read more detail on the man page.
man fetchmail

                        Regards,
                                        Ieong