Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Distribution for free install?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Distribution for free install?
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:18:57 -0600 (CST)

That's why you copy your Debian 2.0 CD to your HD... then use rsync.  That
only updates the files that have actually been updated.  (Which may well
be the majority of them, though).

Or... just don't mess with a CD at all... When you do a full FTP
installation (as opposed to d/ling the entire mirror), in my experience,
only about 70-90 megs is downloaded--which can easily be done overnight on
a 28.8 modem  (I installed Debian about 20 times that way before I went to
a 33.6 modem. :-)