Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Disk Partitions

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Disk Partitions
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:08:54 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Dale W Hodge wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 jeffrey.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Does anyone have a particular scheme of disk partitions and relative sizes
> > that works well?
>
> I'd suggest root"/" partition of about 50Meg and depending on your setup a
> "/var" of 100-200M unless you are spooling lots of mail, news or print
> jobs.  My "/" is using 34M and "/var" is using 87M. I've got got separate
> partitions for "/usr" and "/home".  You can use any scheme you choose, but
> experiance has shown the value of separate "/" and "/var" partitions.

Yes.
Also remember to leave enough space on / (/boot) to hold a kernel
image or two :)
Also, watch out where core dumps go.  size(RAM) =~ size(core)

Jeff Schaller                 | Voice: (316) 946-7255    /V\   I
UNIX System Administrator     | Fax:   (316) 946-2809   // \\  N
I do not speak for the Bombardier Aerospace Group.     /(   )\ U