Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 1999:
[aclug-L] Printer Daemon Complains: "No Interfaces Found"

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Printer Daemon Complains: "No Interfaces Found"
From: "T. Wasson" <wassontj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 21:08:18 -0600

My printer has worked in the past, and has quit.  Trying to decide what
the problem is.

Version : RedHat 5.1 (2.0.35 kernel, no rebuilds or any hacking)
Printer:  Okidata Microline 380 24 pin dot matrix (runs as epson 24 pin
180x180)
Symptoms:
lpc status shows the following"
"queuing is enabled
printing is enabled
4 entries in spool area
waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)"

lpr will spool things without complaint.  While at command line as root,
I occasionally get the message "lp: daemon running but no interfaces
found"

I checked, and I do have a /dev/lp0 file.
Have turned printer on/off, taken off line, back online several times.
Have shutdown system and restarted several times.
Have switched out printer cables (don't think I've got two bad cables.)
Have removed and reinstalled printer via Xbased Printer Configuration
Tool.
In the printer configuration tool, if I choose Test, Print ASCII
directly to port, I get the following message:
"Error printing test page to queue /dev/lp0
Error reason: couldn't write file "/dev/lp0": no such device or address"

In the printer configuration tool, if I choose Add, Local, it does an
auto detect, and shows that /dev/lp0, dev/lp1, and dev/lp2 were all not
detected.

What's the next thing I should be checking?

Thanks,
Tim Wasson
Wichita