Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Web server at home?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Web server at home?
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 14:30:54 -0600

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 01:36:34PM -0600, Maverick, Ven-Han Ieong wrote:
> Thank for the quick reply, I am using Apache Version 1.2.5.
>                                       Ieong.

Attached is a file named: apache_1.2.6-config.tar.gz
It contains the following files:
        httpd.conf
        access.conf
        srm.conf
        httpd.h
        suexec.h

The config files are for apache version 1.2.6, but I think they are
pretty much identical to 1.2.5.

These config files work for my situation, which is more than likely
different than yours. You will need to modify them to make them work
for you. The following are some properties of my system that might help
to know.

User web server runs as:  www (UID 18)
Document Root:  /var/www
Location of config files:  /usr/local/apache_1.2.6/conf
Location of source:  /usr/local/apache_1.2.6/src
Home directories:  /var/users/userid
Personal document directory:  /var/users/userid/.www

You will notice in some of the files a comment of the format:
#SES ...
This is a case where I commented out the default line and replaced it
with my own

I am using the SUEXEC feature, which makes a CGI scripts run as the
owner of the script, rather than the web server user. This requires
configuring the suexec.h, compiling the suexec module, turning the
feature on in httpd.h, and recompiling the server. For more info on
this see the documentation that comes with the package.

I do not claim my configuration to be the best or the most
secure. It runs on a system that is not connected to the Internet
and for just personal use. It works for what I do. I am planning to
upgrade to the 1.3.x tree, but haven't had time.

Good luck

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Junior Systems Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963