Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 1999:
[aclug-L] Hlp with modem and RH5.2

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Hlp with modem and RH5.2
From: "Fritz and Margaret Toews" <fmtoews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:03:01 -0600

I have a US Robotics 56K external faxmodem that I want to use with RedHat
Linux 5.2.  I have gone through the netconfig windows that are accessed
through the control panel but when I press activate nothing happens.  No
dial tone. No blinking lights.  I have looked at setserial in the man pages
and have  run this command as root:
                setserial /dev/dua0 uart 16650 spd_hi

I have used netcfg with no luck.

I have opened the program minicom and it says it is dialing but no action
from the modem.

It is plugged in and turned on and hooked up. Works fine on the
windows95(COM1) side.

I pinged and get back the appropriate response as described in section
5.7.1 of The Linux Network
Administrators' Guide by Olaf Kirch.

When I run stty crtscts < /dev/cua0,  I get an "input/output error"
message.

What should I be doing?  Even if some of my configuration numbers are
wrong, it seems like
I should at least get a dial tone or some kind of attempt from the modem.

Any help would be great!     Thanks,

                                Margaret Toews
                                fmtoews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx