Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Kernel/Memory Question!!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Kernel/Memory Question!!
From: Mohammad Islam <sohel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:13:32 -0600

Hi John,

John Goerzen wrote:

> That can be misleading; here's the output on my system:
>
> ~$ free
> Mem:        256872     251552       5320      52704      40200      94896
> -/+ buffers/cache:     116456     140416
> Swap:       130160        600     129560

Ok Here is the output on my system:

    Mem:         79320      34156      45164      10284      13956
13480
-/+ buffers/cache:          6720       72600
Swap:            62492          0      62492

>.  At the
> moment I issued that command, it was using 94 megs for disk cache and 40
> megs for buffers.  That is why it reports only 5 meg free -- because it
> automatically uses spare memory for something useful.
>
> If you look at the second line, this shows the values in terms that you are
> more used to seeing in other operating systems.  It adjusts the figures to
> ignore the buffer/cache systems, and shows that I have 140 megs of memory
> available should I need it.

Ok Now it is very clear. So i am not running out of memory..but all the
available memory is cached and i have about 72M available if i need.

So if i understand it right, by starting X, some memory will be
allocated to X and the second line of the "free" command would show less
memory available right?(Correct me if i am wrong)

> > 1.Anybody aware of any memory leaks on kernel 2.0.34?
>
> That is possible; it would be good to upgrade to 2.0.36 anyway.

Ok i will give it a shot this coming weekend. Any tips on best/short
ways to upgrade?

> > 3.Where can find kernel related bugs/fix info/docs?(Any central site
> > that zeroes in on   kernel only?)
>
> www.linuxhq.com, "kernel patches" section under the stable release area has
> changelogs.
Cool I will check it out.

> when you fire up a large
> program, Linux will automatically shrink its cache so that the program can
> use the memory without any swapping.

Cool!! I will play with free command/starting large program(s) and see
how memory utilization is occuring:))

Thanks for your kind response. I am feeling much better to know that my
Linux machine is not gobbling up all my memory like my "OTHER"
machine(NT---Shame Shame). :))

Have fun.

Best,

sohel