Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Kernel/Memory Question!!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Kernel/Memory Question!!
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:40:49 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, Mohammad Islam wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Anybody out there running RH5.1(Kernel2.0.34) having memory consumption
> problem? I happend to issue a "free" command today and was surprised to
> see about 71M of memory used out of 80M on my system.

Hello.
It's my understanding that Linux will attempt to use as much RAM as it
can for processes.  If necessary, it will start swapping.  This is a
performance issue, as RAM is faster.  Of course, you may also have a
memory leak, in which case one would expect to see programs crashing
and dying.

Look at http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/FAQ, section 6.4,
www.kernel.org, www.linuxhq.com, and others linked off those
sites.

> 4.Can anyone provide some insight about reading/understanding memory
> usage/tweaking/optimization on Linux?

http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/LDP/linux-kernel/
has the kernel-howto in various formats.  It tells you exactly how
linux deals with memory (chapter 3).

-jeff
-----
Jeff Schaller, UNIX System Administrator, Learjet Inc.
Phone: 316 946-7255, Fax: 316 946-2809 Attn Jeff Schaller
The above thoughts are mine and are not representative of Learjet.
 8:40am up 17 days, 22:26, 5 users, load average: 0.25, 0.38, 0.33