Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 1999:
[aclug-L] Kernel/Memory Question!!

To: aclug-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Kernel/Memory Question!!
From: Mohammad Islam <sohel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 23:17:55 -0600

Hello All,

Anybody out there running RH5.1(Kernel2.0.34) having memory consumption
problem? I happend to issue a "free" command today and was surprised to
see about 71M of memory used out of 80M on my system.

"ps auxw" and "top"  shows a total of 23 processes, most of them
sleeping, and showing most processes are only using less than 1M of
memory. I am not running X. Usually i telnet from my NT box to my Linux
box which acts as a gateway for my Home Lan.

So my questions to the list are:

1.Anybody aware of any memory leaks on kernel 2.0.34?
2.If there is/are any such kernel bug, is there any patch available to
fix it?
3.Where can find kernel related bugs/fix info/docs?(Any central site
that zeroes in on   kernel only?)
4.Can anyone provide some insight about reading/understanding memory
usage/tweaking/optimization on Linux?

I would greatly appreciate your response.

Thanks.

Best,

sohel