Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
[aclug-L] RE: Problems configuring modem

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] RE: Problems configuring modem
From: "Bates, Rod" <Rod.Bates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:24:00 -0600

Well, I can't find any evidence of an interrupt conflict.
Some more info:

This is a pnp modem and apparently has no jumper to
disable the pnp.  In all the attempts so far, I have booted
windows, then Linux without power off, which, as I
understand should get the pnp configuration taken
care of.

The delays in modem response to initialization commands,
etc. have reduced from 30 sec. to 10. sec.  But later in the
process, I get, in /var/log/messages:

... 08:23 Connect ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS2
... 08:53 LCP: timeout sending Config-Request

I hear the modem dial, get a carrier, and talk, before this
happens.  The Southwind user name/password works
within windows.

The only change I made was reinstalling windows from
scratch, to get rid of a boot-time message that the
windows registry was corrupted.  Before, the modem
response times were 30 sec.

cat /proc/interrupts gives no repeated numbers, and
a subset of:

Going through all the devices in the windows control
panel  finds every irq from 0 to 15 in use except 9, but
none are duplicated.  It finds the modem on com3, and
says com3 uses irq 5.  Nobody else seems to.