Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
[aclug-L] siag office install problem

To: "ACLUG-list" <ACLUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] siag office install problem
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 22:46:04 -0600

I was trying to install siag office on my friend's system 'cause it's a lot
smaller then Star Office and he's only got a little disk space left.  I'd
left off a lot of the development pieces when I installed this OS 'cause
he's not a programmer, so I didn't think he'd need them.  But I can't get
siag office to build now.

This is on a Red Hat 5.1 distro.  First, I installed the rpm for gcc, and it
complained about missing headers.  So I installed kernel-headers then
glibc-devel.  This cleared up some of the problems, and I could compile a
simple C program.  siag required make, so I installed that rpm, then
XFree86-devel. Now it compiles a bunch of stuff, then finally complains that
ld can't open -lXpm.  I searched around and it really doesn't appear to be
there.

So I tried to install the rpms for xpm and xpm-devel, but it complains that
they're already installed.  I tried to remove them (rpm -e) and it tells me
they're NOT installed.  What gives?  -U says it can't install/update 'em
'cause they're already installed, but -e says it can't remove 'em 'cause
they're not installed.  That's weird.

So....any ideas???

Thanks,
Greg