Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] PPP Help....

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, schaller@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PPP Help....
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 11:00:23 -0600

Jeff wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Bob Deep wrote:
>
> > Yea.. Been there.  It takes username and password just like most boxes
> > (albeit much slower than I expect) then gives me an error message that
> > goes like "shell access not allowed for user".  The remote site then
> > disconnects....
> >
> > I've talked to the system admin folks (not the most knowlageable folk)
> > and they tell me that their logs show that they see PPP starting and
> > start the PPP driver....
> >
> > Hey.. I just thought of something... As slow as this box seems to be,
> > maybe I should set ppp to keep trying to establish the connection for
> > quite a bit longer.. Perhaps it's just not waiting arround long
> > enough...  Let me try that...
>

> Have you checked /var/log/messages (or wherever) for the 'chat'
> output? It lists the expect script, "expected this, got it" etc. You
> can see from that if you're getting logged in, etc.

Yea.. Chat stuff is just above the excerpt I posted and it is working
fine. They actually don't need much of a chat script... Just dial the
number and wait for the connect from the modem...

> maybe their terminal server is just being flaky?

Actually, the problem was that they required PAP auth, and ppp did not
complain about the failure... Seems that ppp will not agree to Pap
unless it actually thinks it has some seceret to share (I just had to
RTFManpage for that info), so I beleive it was refusing to use pap and
then the other end would shut the link down...  On this end it just got
the "lets forget this" lcp packet and shutdown because the two ends did
not agree on using pap (or any other protocol)..  I also had a very old
version of pppd on the production box...  Once I added the proper
paramaters to the ppp command line (name and user) and added the
password info to the pap-secerets file we where in busniess.

I just figured out all this today... But it took a rebuild of PPPD to
turn on *all* the debugging messages (and there are a *lot* of them) to
figure it out as well as adding my name and password to the pap-secerets
file...  You think the other system admin types would be able to tell me
what the problem was, but the sum total of their help was "Well your
login works on my Windows 95 box in my office, the problem must be with
that linux stuff on your end."  Lotsa help there.

Thanks for the help...

-= bob =-