Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] PPP Help....

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] PPP Help....
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:51:00 -0600

On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 03:41:03PM -0600, Bob Deep wrote:

> exec /usr/sbin/pppd lock modem crtscts /dev/ttyS1 38400 \
>         debug kdebug 7  \
>         $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
>         netmask $NETMASK connect $DIALER_SCRIPT
>
> I've got the dialer script working, the rest of the paramaters seem to
> be right (local ip and remote Ip are both 0.0.0.0, and the netmask is
> 255.255.255.0 incase you wanted to know).  For some reason I'm not
> seeing any helpful information in this log...  Does this mean that the
> other end is not talking or what?

You may have to look at the /var/log/ppp.log file, but I don't believe that
it is valid to specify both the local and the remote IP addresses as
0.0.0.0.  If the desired effect is to allow the remote to dynamically
assign both, you should omit "$LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP" and pppd will negotiate
dynamically as appropriate.  You also don't need to specify a netmask in
this instance.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |