Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Windows NT 4.0 and Telnet

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Windows NT 4.0 and Telnet
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 23:28:37 -0600

From: Jeremy Johnstone <jsjohnst@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>I just got a broshure from some company in the mail todayfrom a company
>who claims to have a product that will allow you to run any Linux program,
>any Linux service, and basically make you NT system run and look lie a
>Linux system. (their words nonverbatim) I will forward more info on the
>subject later tonight.

So...it's a Linux emulator to run on NT?  Let me get this straight.  You're
going to want to... reduce a nice fast operating system to a death crawl and
induce the BSOD periodically.  Oh yeah, and pay a hundred to several hundred
dollars to Microsoft, and whatever it costs to the company that provides the
emulator, all for the priviledge of something that looks and feels like a
free Linux system. Sounds great.

Is this a twisted approach to getting around stupid corporate policy
politics?  ("You can't run Linux on your workstation, this is an NT
shop...")

Greg