Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Windows NT 4.0 and Telnet

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Windows NT 4.0 and Telnet
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 22:13:26 -0600

On Sat, Nov 28, 1998 at 01:27:34AM -0600, phrostie wrote:

> but i'm confused, i'm supposed to pay for nt, then pay for this stuff, so i
> can run GPL software, on
> a GPL OS.

Don't try to think about it too hard.  You're paying for something that runs
worse than the free stuff :-)

> now if they had something that would let you run AIX, Solaris, or IRIX
> binaries on Linux,
> that would be kool.

Incidentally, if you run SparcLinux, it supposedly can run SunOS and maybe
even Solaris binaries if you have the appropriate libraries from a
SunOS/Solaris system.  AlphaLinux can run Digital Unix binaries (again, with
appropriate libraries.)  Intel Linux can run SCO binaries.

I'm not sure that there's anything out there that can run AIX or IRIX
binaries (although Linux on MIPS may be able to run IRIX binaries?).  Not
that this is a great loss IMHO :-)

*Ideally* the issue of binaries will be moot, when we Take Over The World!

(scenes of Pinky and the Brain come to mind just now... <g>)

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |