Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Smb.Conf Error : Failed to get my Hostname

To: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Smb.Conf Error : Failed to get my Hostname
From: "Carl B. Davis" <cdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 12:25:02 -0600

Tom,

Thanks for the reply.  I followed your suggestions and have tried changing the
names.  I changed the hostname to "Linux" and the domain name to be
"DJNet.com".  Please tell me at any time if I am messing this up.  I changed
the names using a text editor, restarted networking, and then ran netcfg in
Xwindows to check.  It indicates the correct hostname and domainname.  So I
reboot.  Now the system gets to Sendmail and sits for several minutes before
finishing the reboot.  I read about this phenomenon, but have forgotten the
cause and solution.   I suspect it's related to my domainname problem.  I log
in as root and type "hostname", machine replies "Linux".  Then I type
"domainname", and the machine replies with a blank line.  This is not the
nonreply you sometimes get from unix where it did what it was supposed to, but
doesn't tell you what it did and gives you back to the prompt.  This is a blank
line, and below that is the prompt.  I did "cat" on the different files in your
message and this is what I have.

/etc/hosts
    192.168.1.1        Linux            Linux
    127.0.0.1            localhost        localhost.localdomain

/etc/HOSTNAME
    Linux

/etc/sysconfig/network
    NETWORKING = yes
    FORWARD_IPV4= no
    HOSTNAME=Linux
    DOMAINNAME=DJNet.com
    GATEWAY= 192.168.1.254
    GATEWAYDEV= eth0

Please give me any suggestions regarding how to straighten out this error.

BTW, I read in INFOWORLD today a quote from Barry Gilstrap, president of BEC,
an ISP in Wichita, Kan who is running his severs on Linux.  It's on pg 34,
November 30 issue.  He said,  "Linux has been developed by really good and
bright people".

The quote just caught my eye b/c he's from Wichita.

Carl