Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
[aclug-L] Smb.Conf Error : Failed to get my Hostname

To: "aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Smb.Conf Error : Failed to get my Hostname
From: "Carl B. Davis" <cdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 16:47:41 -0600

For those interested, I resolved my "Command not Found" problem at
network setup.
The problem was my domain name of D&JNet.  It didn't like the "&", and
once it saw that,
everything went south.  I changed the name and now it works like a
champ.  Thanks for the
helpful suggestions I received.

I am now setting up Samba on my RH 5.2 linux box .  Everything seems to
be
working so far until I run a test on the smb.conf file, it goes like
this.

I run the command "testparm | less", it returns

   "Get_Hostbyname : unknown host .DAVIS."
    "Failed to get my host name"

I have checked in /etc/HOSTNAME, and the only entry is ".DAVIS".

When I type in "hostname" as root, it responds ".DAVIS"

I checked the settings using the Xwindows utility, and it all looks
right to me, but what do I know.

There is no man page for "Get_Hostbyname", but there is one for
"gethostbyname"

Any ideas why it wouldn't be finding my hostname?

Carl