Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] king of the MOUNTain

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] king of the MOUNTain
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 11:26:29 -0600

It looks like you're close to it anyway; your /dev/fd0 and /dev/cdrom lines
seem to be correct.  Have you tried using mount at the command line as a
normal user to see if it works?  FYI, the mount(8) manpage says:

       (iii) Normally, only the superuser can mount file systems.
       However, when fstab contains the user option  on  a  line,
       then anybody can mount the corresponding system.

       Thus, given a line
              /dev/cdrom  /cd  iso9660  ro,user,noauto,unhide
       any  user  can  mount the iso9660 file system found on his
       CDROM using the command
              mount /dev/cdrom
       or
              mount /cd
       For more details, see fstab(5).

I would additionally recommend the nodev and nosuid options.

Also, it may be necessary for the user to have access to the mountpoint; I'm
not sure, but it's something to check.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |