Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] king of the MOUNTain

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] king of the MOUNTain
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 08:29:31 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Jesse Kaufman wrote:

> how do i make a specific user (say...me!) have rights to mount stuff...

One possible solution would be to use sudo. The latest cu-sudo version
is 1.5.7p2. You can use it to execute commands as root without 'su'ing
or logging in as root. You can also set up a sudoers file that will
let you do things without a password (NOPASSWD option). Then you could
put a 'mount' script in /usr/local/bin/ or something, and put that
before `which mount` in your path, so that your WM finds that script
to run instead. Have that script call 'sudo mount' with any options it
needs.  With this option, you can select:
a) with sudo, exactly who can use this script
b) with the script, describe exactly what can & cannot be mounted, and
   how (by checking the arguments)

You'll probably also want a 'umount' script ...

> also, what does the last entry in the attached fstab file mean?

none             /proc          proc    defaults 0 0

1               2               3       4       5  6

1) The filesystem does not have a physical partition to mount
2) mount it under /proc
3) it is of the proc filesystem type
4) use the defaults for it
5) don't force a check on boot
6) I think this field is the order in which it checks them on boot

`man fstab` for a better explanation :)

-jeff
-----
Jeff Schaller, UNIX System Administrator, Learjet Inc.
Phone: 316 946-7255, Fax: 316 946-2809
The above thoughts are mine and are not representative of Learjet.
 8:28am up 18 days, 21:28, 8 users, load average: 0.17, 0.23, 0.25