Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] My laptop won't boot an install disk.

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] My laptop won't boot an install disk.
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 10:23:34 -0600

I had a problem somewhat similar to this, but it was with a different
laptop. I don't know if yours could be similar or not. I have an older
IBM Thinkpad: 360 CSE and I was installing Slackware. I would get the
welcome screen with the boot: prompt. If I would hit enter (as normal)
it would go for a while and then hang (I can't remember the error). In
my case, I found some documentation that the Thinkpad does not detect
floppy disk changes the same as most other machines do. To fix it, at
the boot: prompt I needed to type "floppy=thinkpad" and that fixed the
problem.

Again, this may have nothing to do with your situation, but the
symptoms where similar enough I thought I would share it :-)

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 09:29:53AM -0600, Cory T. Lamb wrote:
> here are the specs on the laptop:
> Compaq Contura 420c
> 540 MB HDD
> 24 MB RAM
> 486 DX 75
> WD9504 video card
>
> anything else?
> Thanks for the help.
> ~Cory
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                           Cory T. Lamb
>                                <ctl4u@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Junior SysAdmin                                         Chief Engineer
> Information Media Services                       KBCU FM-88.1
>                     Bethel College  N. Newton KS
>                               \\|//
>                                 (o o)
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~oOOo~(_)~oOOo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>       *This message sent with 100 percent recycled electrons.
>       No french toast was created or destroyed in the process.*
>
> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Bob Deep wrote:
>
> > "Cory T. Lamb" wrote:
> > >
> > > I just got a laptop and it doesn't seem to want to boot it will show me
> > > the welcome screen... Then boot: at the bottom...  Then when I press enter
> > > to have it boot it only gets three dots before it blows chunks and tells
> > > me that boot has failed.  I have tried 5 different Distrobutions each with
> > > several different floppy disks and nothing seems to work.  Is there any
> > > possible solution to get linux on my box?
> >
> > I don't know that it will help... But what kind of laptop (make and
> > model) do you have?
> >
> > It *should* work, but we may need to build a special kernel for you for
> > your hardware.  Perhaps there are some differant boot images you could
> > try on the distro's you now have?
> >
> > -= bob =-
> > ---
> > This is the Air Capital Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
> > want to unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" to
> > aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your
> > message to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.
> >

> ---
> This is the Air Capital Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
> want to unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" to
> aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your
> message to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Technical Support
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963