Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Kernel transportability

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Kernel transportability
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 06:12:14 -0600

Cheez-Czar wrote:

> I don't think it should be a problem. The kernal is normally the same
> among distributions
>
> On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Greg House wrote:

Can I
> > build a kernel on my other machine, running Slackware, and put it on the Red
> > Hat system?

Correct me if I'm wrong here...

Since all Slackware releases up to and including 3.6 are libc5.x.x based
and Red Hat since 5.0 uses glibc2.0.x.  Or, is glibc2.0.x backward
compatible with libc5.x.x, but not vice versa?  I have no first hand
knowledge trying to do this, but I've seen much discussion on libc5 vs.
glibc2, so that's why I ask the questions!

I'd say give it a try and let us know your results.

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | KA0RNY @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM     | "Depression is
 Internet | ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx                   | merely anger