Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] glint problem

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] glint problem
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 08:43:52 -0600

Greg House wrote:

> Ok, I've got this RedHat 5.1 system (yes, I know there's a 5.2 now...) and
> I'm trying to use glint to check out some packages in the contrib section of
> the CDs.  I mount the CD, start glint, use "configure" to set the path to
> where the rpms are on the CD, and click on the "Available" button.
>
> It starts scanning the available rpms and runs for a little while, the
> progress bar steadily moving, then when it's around 3/4 done, it just stops.
> I can hear the cdrom drive spin down, and the progress bar stops moving and
> it never presents me any packages to install.
>
> What's up with this?

Known problem with Red Hat 5.1, I hope they do better with 5.2...

You need to get the glint upgrade rpm and install it by hand... Look for
the file named "glint-2.6.1-1.i386.rpm" on Red Hat's FTP site (It's
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/updates/5.1/i386/glint-2.6.1-1.i386 )

FTP the file, then in the directory where the file exists issue the
following command.

rpm -U glint-2.6.1-1.i386.rpm

Once you have installed this package, you will be in busniess with glint
again.  You might want to look at the updates for 5.1 and see if you
want any of the new packages.  They have some newer kernels and a
boatload of security updates...

Good luck.

-= bob =-