Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
[aclug-L] MP3 list program

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] MP3 list program
From: "Brian J. Chapman" <bchapman@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 21:35:33 -0600

Okay, now I want to write one too! I need all the experience I can get.
I'm going to write mine in C, ANSI-C actually, so that I can compile it on
any system, including microsoft systems (using DJGPP not MSVC, yuck!) so
for those of us who have collections at work but have been explicitly told
they can't install Linux by their brain dead IT manager...um, not that i'm
bitter or anything. ;-)

I think the best way to go about this is to use binary trees, instead of
your average linked list or array structure, to alphabeticaly sort all
files and subdirs from a given directory. So starting from a base
directory, recursively go through and create child trees for each subdir
and child-child trees for each sub-subdir and so on. Each tree being a
sorted list of all files in that dir. Can anybody think of a better
method? The only draw back I can see with this would be memory usage to
hold the entire list in memory. But even then, I don't think it will be
that much space, pointers are small to begin with, right?

Anyway, i'm also going to use the ID3 tag information to automatically
fill out descriptions so the program can run non-interactively. And if
there is no ID3 tag, then the description will be left blank making a
great indicator for me to go and fill out a tag for that file. I like all
my mp3s to have ID3 tags. =)

Hmm...i think that's about it for now, that should keep me busy.

 Brian James Chapman | bchapman@xxxxxxxxx | www.feist.com/~bchapman