Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] C++ ideas...

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] C++ ideas...
From: Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 02:13:48 -0500

John Goerzen wrote:

> Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > ok, after seeing the last few posts on c++, i think this post isn't too
> > far off the topic of linux...
>
> Not a problem!
>
> > first, some history... well, i'm a beginning c++ programmer (ie: i'm
> > halfway thru my first c++ course at Tabor), and i'm wanting to create my
> > own program...  an mp3 lister.  i think i will start out inputting a
> > pre-created text file as an array of strings, then manipulating it (ie
> > adding a header, footer, and maybe cleaning it up a bit)...  eventually,
> > i'd like to be able to put in the directory i want to make a list of,
> > then save the results to a file...
> >
> > any ideas?  tips?  comments?  help?
>
> You'll want to use the opendir() and readdir() functions to read
> directories.
>
> Despite what you may be told, C's printf is still, in my opinion, the
> easiest way to produce neatly-formatted output in C++.
>
> ^L (\f, if I remember correctly) is a formfeed character.  The printed
> page is 66 lines; the screen is 24 lines.
>
> Watch out with arrays; if you get more data than you expect, your
> program will crash.  You may want to use a linked list instead.  Or,
> better yet, read in one item at a time and output the results as you
> read them in.
>
> > i assume there's already programs out there to do this, but i'd like the
> > experience...and to be able to say it is mine! : ^ )
>
> Are ya gonna GPL it? :-)

uh...sure...if i ever finish! : ^ )  ... it's a weekend project, and may not
ever get finished (depends how much time i've got on my hand after class and
work...  maybe a christmas project! : ^ )

as far as output, i've been using cout and will (once i do some more work on it)
incorperate the setiosflags() statements and stuff...  i've found them to be
fairly easy...

linked lists?  what exactly is that?  i realize the problem with arrays, but as
far as my c++ knowledge goes (i'm at midterm of my first ever c++ class), that
seems most logical... better than 50 billion char variables! : ^ )

input one line then output?  meaning like (in the final version) input one
filename, then print that to the output file, then read the next, concat it,
blah blah blah?