Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] windowmaker

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] windowmaker
From: Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 23:46:21 -0500

Greg House wrote:

> [...]

don't know about your NextSTeP question, but i swear by AfterStep... i've used
WindowMaker (WM), Enlightenment (E), IceWM, and KDE, and have found AS most
accomidating to *my* needs.  (IMHO) i think that AS is the most customizeable,
but you can't be afraid of text config files...  they're pretty easy to figure
out if you look at the defaults, and some of the extra feel and look files it
installs.  yes, there are a buttload of menu items that don't work, but i look
at this as a nice feature... if you've got them, they're already there, but if
you don't have them, you've got a nice list of appz you *may* want to check
out!  haven't heard of any prog that will rid you of ones that you don't have,
and i've never gotten the AfterStep control panel to quite work, but oh well...
i like text .... and vi! : ^ )

so far, i have been most pleased with afterstep due to it's customization and
it's stability... E's still pretty beta, WM's solid as a rock, but (IMHO)
cumbersome in it's handling of icons... i really like the AS winlist module...
smallest "taskbar" of sorts out there...and IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE
WIN9X!!  : ^ )   i'd be more than happy to share look/feel files along with my
wharf and other settings...  just ask!  i've never taken a look at the AS FAQ,
but i hear it was just updated (i'm on the mailing list).  i've been using AS
for just about a month now, and i've already tweaked it quite a bit for a
newbie!  check out my latest screenshot at www2.southwind.net/~kaufmjes ... i
downloaded the titlebar pixmaps and the tile pixmaps... the bckgrnd came with
AS 1.5beta5 (which i am running), and i created the buttons from scratch in
GIMP...  they are (from left to right) close/kill, iconify, maximize/restore,
shade/unshade.

Good luck!  hope this helped!

jesse