Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] parse error question (fwd)

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] parse error question (fwd)
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 14:41:25 -0500

Bijaya Hamal wrote:

>  Dear Sir / Madame,
> I am a newbie at linux . I am compiling a code, or a makefile which seems
> to be very long .
> I have received parse error.
> I have looked all over in the man pages but could not find a option to
> match braces.
> I will be very grateful for your help.
> thanks in advance.

A few questions will need to be answered before we can even try to
help...

1.  Exactly what are you attempting to compile?

2.  Exactly what error message are you getting?

On the topic of matching braces...  Xemacs/emacs will do this in many of
the available modes but I think the best way to trace this problem is to
use standard indentation.  The logic of the program will be more visualy
apparent, and missing braces will be easier to find.  Again Xemacs/emacs
have standard indentation engines you can use to indent poorly formatted
code (though they sometimes get confused and cause havac). Of course,
when your program section starts to get much bigger than one screenful,
seeing and counting braces is not as easy no matter what you do.

Get us that information, and we will see what we can do to get you some
help.

-= bob =-