Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] RAM question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] RAM question
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:37:50 -0500

Jesse Kaufman wrote:

> ok, i will soon be adding another 32Mb RAM to my system, and was curious
> if there was anything that i will have to do to my linux config to make
> it see/use it...

It should not require any changes... Install your memory and check what
linux sees (free -m).

The only change you might want to make is to your swap size to follow
the rule of thumb of having swap that is twice the size of your
memory....It's unlikely you will need to though because your swap usage
will decrease with more memory.

(Some older kernels did had troubble seeing memory over a specified
size, but I don't remember exactly how big your memory had to be or what
Kernel versions.. Under 128 Meg should not be a problem.)

-= bob =-