Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] RAM question

To: Jesse Kaufman <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] RAM question
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:28:44 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Jesse Kaufman wrote:

> ok, i will soon be adding another 32Mb RAM to my system, and was curious
> if there was anything that i will have to do to my linux config to make
> it see/use it...

        Usually the answer is no, with a catch.  Sometimes LINUX doesn't
"see" all your memory.  The free command in LINUX will tell you how much
LINUX thinks you have.  It may report less than expected.  In that case,
you can use mem=XXXM at the lilo prompt to "fix" this problem.  You can
also put

append="mem=XXXM"

(where XXX is your memory size)

into your lilo.conf file and rerun LILO.  Then LILO will give LINUX a clue
as to how much memory you really have.  I have heard the 2.1 kernels fix
this problem.

                                T W

> jesse
> ---
> This is the Air Capitol Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
> want to unsubscribe, send the word "unsubscribe" to
> aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your
> message to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx