Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
[aclug-L] PPP Success

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] PPP Success
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 08:24:49 -0500

My deepest thanks to Steven, Jeremy and John for all of
the help trying to get me hooked up to SouthWind. It
finally happened last night. After an hour on the phone
with SW tech support I hooked up with John. After a
couple of inquires it was determined that the problem
was with the pap-secrets file. Keep in mind that I have
looked at that file dozens of times and saw no problems.
John asked if I had any unusual characters in my
password, and the light came on. Since the time that SW
opened the El Dorado modem pool my password had been
#1*******, and that had been no problem under Windoze.
Naturally, a # comments out anything following so pap
wasn't seeing any password. I guess I confess this for
two reasons. First as a sort of self-flagilation for not
picking up on the comment # in my pass and secondly to
help point out that many newbies not only have to learn
Linux but also strugle to unlearn DOS/Windows. I now
realize that I will need to constantly question that
mindset and that as I grow in the Linux community I will
need to be mindful that newbies to come will have the
same mindset. And, as dumb as my mistake was, it sure
feels good to have overcome that particular obstacle.
Many thanks to all of you who have helped I couldn't
have done it without you.

Wayne