Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
[aclug-L] Debian 2.0 Installation

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Debian 2.0 Installation
From: jeffrey.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 20:41:06 -0500

In my opinion, the only thing keeping Linux from being a mainstream OS is
the increbibly quirky installation process.  Case in point:
I'm trying to install Debian 2.0 on a gateway P5-200 with dual scsi cdroms
and two scsi harddrives.  The system accepts the entire base system from
the cd but gorks out when the package installation comes around.  I realize
that it's probably my lack of sophistication, but when it asks me to insert
the cd into the drive and supply the name of the block device, the party is
definitely over.  It also says to type ^C to abort, but, naturally, that
doesn't work either.  I'm half a step from going back to Big Bad Bill.  At
least the system installs with the requirement for a hardware and software
degree.  Anyone who might save me from my obvious mental shortcomings will
be on my Christmas card list.

Jeff